Friday, May 24, 2013

My first failed outing with 3 kids

So, I really love being a mom. So much so, that sometimes I over estimate how much I can handle. 

Today, I decided to go on an outing to the zoo with the Kentuckiana Babywearers group. I went to the zoo last week with my friend Elizabeth, and she was a great help, but I just kind of figured I could do it on my own. I didn't want to ask her to do it again because she is pregnant and almost full-term and I could tell she was very tired after our last trip (I was, too, and I'm not even pregnant anymore!). I got a zoo membership for Mother's Day, and I want to use it as much as possible, so that is another reason I decided to go today. 

Let's start at the beginning of the day. I was out of lunch food and I wanted to pack our lunches, so I got everyone ready early and we headed to the grocery store. I go to Kroger because they have a double car on the front of some of the carts, which makes it easier with the boys. They usually are all out and ready to go if you go early in the morning, but they were all gone today. I decided it was fine and we would just go through the store with the boys helping me push the cart. Evangeline was wrapped in the Moby and I walked awkwardly along with the boys. Micah fell down twice because Canaan was pushing too quickly, so I decided to put him in the seat of the cart. To my surprise, he actually liked it. In the past he has not wanted to sit in the cart. So, on we go. Eva wrapped on my front, Micah in the cart, and Canaan pushing, with me to the side guiding the cart along. Eventually, we finished our shopping in about twice the time it should have taken. No big deal. I'll go home and pack our lunch and we will go to the zoo. 

Back home, lunches packed, change and feed Eva one more time, make sure the boys use the bathroom before we leave, and get in the car. Load the wagon into the back. Off we go.

Our meet-up was scheduled for 11AM. I'm not really sure why, but the zoo was PACKED. I had to park in the very last row of the lot, which is very large. I decided to put the boys right in the wagon because we were running late. Eva was once again wrapped in the Moby. We reached our group and we were still waiting on people. The boys got into the lunch bag and ate all of their lunch and then asked for my sandwich. At this point, pulling the wagon and carrying the diaper bag and baby, I'm starting to realize this was a bad idea, but I need to keep going. I'm here now, no turning back. We all go into the zoo and Micah tells me he needs to use the toilet. I tell everyone I will catch up with them. Both boys are out of the wagon now and Canaan insists on pulling it himself. He has problems looking where he is walking anyway, so he runs into people and things and I am just trying to get Micah to the bathroom on time. They both use the bathroom, but one of them somehow pees on his shorts anyway. I change him. Canaan again insists on pulling the wagon. I must press on. The boys are going to have a great time.

The baby starts crying. My baby who never cries is crying. Okay, maybe this was a bad idea. Maybe pressing on is an even worse idea. I somehow convince the boys to get back into the wagon and we go all the way back to the car. We were at the zoo for an hour and didn't see one animal. 

You know, I'm really just glad I made the decision to leave before there were any meltdowns, including any I might have myself. Thankfully, the boys didn't question me as we left the zoo. When we got in the car and started to pull away, Canaan said, "Thank you, Mommy."

Man, I love those kids.



No comments:

Post a Comment