Monday, September 3, 2012

Contentment

It seems that I'm learning the same lesson over and over again lately. Then again, it's one of those lessons you only learn after being beaten over the head with it a few times, because life can be scary. Being married is a big responsibility, but being a parent makes those responsibilities seem more real. These responsibilities make us worry. In the last few months, we've worried about Joshua being placed at a decent school, paying bills, whether or not I could be on his insurance plan through his employer because of the pregnancy (don't worry-- that worked out:)), and even getting groceries or gas at times. It's funny how no matter how many times God answers our prayers with a much better situation than we even thought to ask for, my first reaction to any sort of adversity is worry.

I'm happy to report that these moments of panic are slowly but surely becoming moments rather than days or months. Sure, my first reaction is an increased heart rate and a feeling of utter dread, but it is now quickly followed by a reminder that He has never let us go without. I don't lie awake at night worrying. I can't say that this is something I have worked hard to achieve. Like I said, it's simply a result of month after month of seeing God do amazing things for our family. It's kind of getting hard to NOT trust Him. Am I really starting to feel thankful for the hard times? Wow, I think I am.

These verses have been running through my head for a month or so now:

"I know what it is to be in need, and I know what it is to have plenty. I have learned the secret to being content in any and every situation, whether well-fed or hungry, whether living in plenty or in want. I can do everything through Him who gives me strength." Philippians 4:12-13

Contentment. That is the lesson He is teaching me.

No comments:

Post a Comment